Becoming a Sister
Is God Calling You?
God calls each of us to something.
How is God calling you to bring about the Kingdom of God?
How is God calling you to live and share the Gospel?
The process of trying to answer these questions is called discernment, and we are here to help you with that.
Discernment is not easy, but God does speak through prayer, thoughts and feelings, circumstances, and other people. By listening and praying, we can begin to sense the direction that God is guiding us toward.
Here are some reflection questions to get you started:
- When do you feel alive and full of energy? What parts of your life feel the most life-giving to you?
- What are some things that seem to drain your energy or take life away?
- Who is God for you? What is your prayer life like?
- When you think about love and relationships, which pulls the strongest at your heart—one-on-one relationships and friendships or a group of friends? Have you ever belonged to a group of like-minded, like-hearted people? How was that for you? Do you want to belong to a group like that?
- What kinds of service activities have you done? How do you feel when you do service?
- When you reflect on your future, what is it that you want the most out of life? What is the deepest longing of your heart?
- As Sisters of Divine Providence, we all have a story, just like you do, and each one is different. Each of us had some kind of support in our discernment journey, and we hope you have support too. And we are happy to help you as you discern.
We can help you in a variety of ways:
- Meeting with you to talk about discernment
- Connecting you with a spiritual director
- Inviting you to a faith-sharing group
- Hosting you for community dinner and prayer
These are all ways to get in touch with your own call and get a glimpse of what life is like as a Sister of Divine Providence.
There are a lot of prayer resources out there to help as well. Reimagining the Examen and Pray As You Go are two apps that are good places to start.